Monday, January 25, 2010

Peripatetic

It was bound to happen: I was finally asked to be a model. I kid you not. The truth is stranger than fiction. It happened at Upper Canada Mall. Leaving a store that sells leather jackets, I was interrupted by a plaintiff "Excuse me sir, would you mind helping us out for a second." It turned out I was just the right build to act as a model for the lady's husband; she and two other ladies were picking a jacket for him. Being incredibly helpful and generally unable to say no, of course I obliged, volunteering my own opinion on which jacket fit best. All the while, visions of an easy life on the Paris runway just standing and modeling flashed before my eyes. But then I started to feel just like a piece of meat and I decided to keep my regular day job where looking pretty isn't all that important.


Life continues to be far too busy. It's pretty much impossible to balance my personal life with all the other demands on my time. I'm writing this post today from Berlin which is in the grip of a frigid winter not unlike the kind one normally expects in Toronto, so I feel right at home. Last weekend I was in Vancouver getting married. Tomorrow I head over to Munich where Peter and I present at OOP 2010; no, I will not be presenting in German though my German is definitely improving, something one might expect when you marry a German. The more German I learn---I can almost follow a conversation now---the more frustrated I am with not knowing more. This coming Thursday Ralph has arranged another Eclipse Stammtisch so I plan to attend that; I'm sure much German will be spoken. Maybe I'll see you there. I just hope it's not so cold.


I don't head back home to Toronto until February 2nd, but I expect to be back in Berlin yet again for the Modeling Code Camp at the beginning of March. Itemis does trainings like this as well. It's unfortunate that more people don't take advantage of the opportunity to get a jump start on exploiting open source technology. It might seem cheaper to muddle through on your own but suboptimal design decisions are likely a much bigger hidden cost down the road. EclipseCon will be yet another cost effective opportunity to learn new things, and yet another reason to travel. There will certainly be a great deal of modeling content. Too bad we couldn't accept more submissions. After EclipseCon I expect a short break in the travel schedule before I head over to Germany yet again for the JAX conference in Mainz. Maybe I should just move to Germany to save all the travel time.

7 comments:

Kim Moir said...

Ed, congratulations on your marriage! Best wishes!

Gisela said...

Hi Ed,
Congratulations on your marriage!
We'd like to see some pics of the wedding :)

Best regards from Nantes, France.

Gisela BONNAUD

Mark Melvin said...

Wouldn't you rather be a meta-model anyway? ;)

Miles Parker said...

Congratulations! re: Modeling, it's not as glamorous and exciting as it's cooked up to be. In fact, I finally gave up my dreams when I realized that the only gigues I was getting were as a "booth guy". And I'm beginning to suspect that was only because I was actually able to demo the software...

AutoWay said...

Congratulations from Taiwan!
Thanks for your help in the EMF newsgroup.

Marcelo Paternostro said...

Congrats Ed! All the luck, good moments, and happiness. Helena is wishing the very same over my shoulder ;-)

Madhu said...

Congratulations Ed on your marriage! Wish you both a great time ahead.